The Data Science Institute (DSI) has a longstanding focus on research in the development and use of knowledge graphs, originating out of groundbreaking work on the Semantic Web and Linked Data at DSI’s forerunner, the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI).
At its core, our focus is on data-driven knowledge graph development, maintenance and use. Current research in knowledge graphs at DSI has a focus on the following directions:
- knowledge graph extraction from text with [Saffron http://saffron.insight-centre.org/]
- linguistic knowledge graphs such as the [Polylingual WordNet http://polylingwn.linguistic-lod.org/] and the [Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud http://linguistic-lod.org/llod-cloud], building on the [OntoLex W3C format https://www.w3.org/2016/05/ontolex/] that was also developed at DSI
- (multilingual) data linking for knowledge graph integration with [NAISC https://github.com/insight-centre/naisc]
- [Linked Open Data https://lod-cloud.net/]
- [biomedical knowledge graph completion https://www.clarify2020.eu]
- enterprise knowledge graphs, in collaboration with large enterprises such as [Fidelity https://www.fidelity.com/] and [Huawei https://www.huawei.com]
Our research on knowledge graphs is supported by Science Foundation Ireland as part of its funding for the [Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics https://www.insight-centre.org/] and the [SFI Centre for Research Training in AI http://crt-ai.cs.ucc.ie/], as well as through funding from Enterprise Ireland and the EU.